Today I am going to review Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sun Block SPF 50+ (PA+++)
Price : 450/- for 88ml
Before we review this product, let me give you a brief difference between a Sunscreen and a Sunblock :
Although some believe that sunblock and sunscreen are both the same, they are not. Although they have similar properties Sunblock is opaque and is stronger than sunscreen since it is able to block majority of the UVA/UVB rays and radiation from the sun, thus not having to be reapplied several times a day. Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide are two of the important ingredients in sunblock.
Sunscreen is more transparent once applied to the skin and also has the ability to protect against UVA/UVB rays as well. Although the sunscreen’s ingredients break down at a faster rate once exposed to sunlight, and some of the radiation is able to penetrate to the skin. In order for sunscreen to be more effective you’ll have to consistently reapply and use a higher spf ( source : Wikipedia )
Company claims :
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 50+ is a breakthrough in sun protection. Stabilized with Helioplex, it provides superior balanced broad spectrum protection against skin-ageing UVA and burning UVB rays and combines it with Dry Touch technology for an ultra-light, non-shiny finish. This lightweight sunblock has a light fresh scent and is gentle enough for sensitive skin.
- Waterproof, sweatproof, resists rub-off
- Non-comedogenic ( won’t clog pores )
- Oil free and PABA free
My Experience :
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch sun block is the best sunblock that I had seen so far. It comes in a tube package with a sturdy cap. This tube packaging is hygienic and lets you take the appropriate amount according to your skin’s need. The cream is in white consistency and has got light fresh scent.
I apply this on my face and leave it on for 10 minutes without applying anything on it. It is non-comedogenic hence, it doesn’t clog the pores my skin breathes well even after application. If left alone during extreme hot weather it tends to get oily and sometimes I even sweat but there is nothing to worry about as it really resists rub-off i.e. even after you wipe your sweat it still remains comfortably on your skin and provides you protection from harmful UV rays and prevents you from tanning. For the “dry touch” feeling I generally apply it under the fan its because your skin should be totally dry before you apply it to your face, else it tends to cast a whitish cast on your skin, however this shouldn’t bother as it fades away within 1 min.
During Monsoon or Winters I find this quite comfortable on my combination type skin as my skin gets in dry phase and my skin doesn’t get oily even after 2 hours of application.
For testing its sunblock ability I applied Lotus Herbals Safe sun Sunscreen Gel SPF 20(As I bought this earlier) on one side of my face and Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock on the other side of my face. I went to college, travelled along with my friends and then went to a shopping mall but just after 2 n 1/2 hours of application I found that one side of my face was burning when I was out, exposed to the sun i.e. the part where I applied Lotus Sunscreen as I wiped my face when I got sweat as a result the Lotus Sunscreen got wiped away leaving my skin naked under the harsh rays of sun whereas Neutrogena’s Sunblock was still intact in its place providing ample protection to my skin and the part where I applied Neutrogena Sunblock absolutely felt nothing. So, from this I can easily conclude that a sunblock is always better than a sunscreen and Neutrogena’s Sunblock is the perfect sunblock for me.
However, I won’t recommend this to oily skinned beauties as it tends to get oily, post application. Whereas Dry and Combination skinned beauties would adore it!!
I found all its claims true, except for the oil free claim. You can even apply this on Monsoon weather as its waterproof.
Here I had swatched the product :
Pros Of the Product :
- Provides high levels of both UVA (PA +++) and UVB protection due to the patented Helioplex technology: The main challenge in providing effective protection from UVA rays is that traditional chemicals used in sunscreens that absorb UVA light degrade quickly and become ineffective.Helioplex combines two existing sunscreens, avobenzone and oxybenzone, which block UVA and UVB rays. But the avobenzone is in a more stable form, so it doesn’t lose its effectiveness with exposure to sunlight. Neutrogena developed the Helioplex technology in 2005. Helioplex helps protect skin by chemically absorbing harmful UV photos and converting the UV energy to make Avobenzone photostable. This allows sunscreens with Helioplex to deliver high, broad-spectrum and photostable protection after 5 hours of sun exposure. ( source : google and Neutrogena)
- It is non-comedogenic and it doesn’t clog pores of your skin.
- It is sweat proof, waterproof and also resists rub off which means you can apply it and can wipe your face and still find it intact on your face.
- Its PABA free i.e. Para-aminobenzoic acid free as PABA tends to cause a high number of allergic reactions to it.
- The packaging is hygienic as it comes in a tube.
- Small size is enough to cover face and neck.
Cons Of the Product :
- It tends to get oily, post application.
- No ingredients list is mentioned.
Apart from these, I don’t find any problem with this wonderful product.
Final Review : Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sun Block SPF 50+ (PA+++) is the best sunlock that I’d seen so far as it is indeed sweatproof, waterproof, and it does resist rub-off. Its non-comedogenic which assures that it won’t clog pores. It is a sunblock which is always better than a sunscreen. An ideal sunblock which you can apply on face and forget bothering about it. I would recommend this to combination and dry skinned beauties, oily skinned beauties should keep this at bay.
Rating : 4.5/5